York Minster is one of Europe’s greatest Gothic Cathedrals – evangelization sent from Rome begun as early as 180 AD and the Diocese of York was established in 314. A first Anglo-Saxon Cathedral was built in the 630s, after a fire in 741 it was rebuilt even greater in the Norman style – until a final fire in 1137. The present Cathedral (or Minster – as attributed to churches established in the Anglo-Saxon period as missionary teaching churches) was begun in the XIII century in Early English Gothic. Later additions were made in the XV century in the Perpendicular style. The transepts were the first parts to be built – the moust famous being the north transept with the five lancet windows called five sisters glazed with grisaille glass. The 76-foot (23 m) tall Great East Window, created by John Thornton in the early 15th century, is the largest expanse of medieval stained glass in the world. Remarkable is also the West Window, with the famous heart of Yorkshire.